Slim3 uses LL API.

To resolve a strange issue that slim3 is faster than LL, I tried the
following samples:

One:
AsyncDatastoreService ds =
    DatastoreServiceFactory.getAsyncDatastoreService();
Query q = new Query("Bar");
    PreparedQuery pq = ds.prepare(q);
List<Entity> list =
    pq.asList(FetchOptions.Builder.withDefaults().limit(
        Integer.MAX_VALUE));
for (Entity e : service.getBarListUsingLL()) {
    e.getKey();
    e.getProperty("sortValue");
}

Two:
AsyncDatastoreService ds =
    DatastoreServiceFactory.getAsyncDatastoreService();
Query q = new Query("Bar");
    PreparedQuery pq = ds.prepare(q);
List<Entity> list =
    pq.asList(FetchOptions.Builder.withDefaults().limit(
        Integer.MAX_VALUE));

// VERY IMPORTANT
list.size();

for (Entity e : service.getBarListUsingLL()) {
    e.getKey();
    e.getProperty("sortValue");
}

The second one is much faster than the first one.
I fixed the samples to call list.size().
http://slim3demo.appspot.com/performance/

As a result, LL is as fast as slim3 (^^;

Yasuo Higa

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Jeff Schnitzer <j...@infohazard.org> wrote:
> Thank you for fixing the benchmark.
>
> I am very curious.  According to this new benchmark - it's hard to
> tell without pushing the buttons a lot of times, but there seems to be
> a trend - Slim3 is somewhat faster than the Low Level API.
>
> Doesn't Slim3 use the Low Level API underneath?  How can it possibly be
> faster?
>
> Jeff
>
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Yasuo Higa <higaya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What I want to provide is a fair and casual benchmark.
>>
>> As jeff advised, I modified samples as follows:
>> for (Entity e : service.getBarListUsingLL()) {
>>    e.getKey();
>>    e.getProperty("sortValue");
>> }
>>
>> for (Bar bar : service.getBarListUsingSlim3()) {
>>    bar.getKey();
>>    bar.getSortValue();
>> }
>>
>> for (BarObjectify bar : service.getBarListUsingObjectify()) {
>>    bar.getKey();
>>    bar.getSortValue();
>> }
>>
>> for (BarJDO bar : service.getBarListUsingJDO()) {
>>    bar.getKey();
>>    bar.getSortValue();
>> }
>>
>> LL API is much slower than before.
>> http://slim3demo.appspot.com/performance/
>>
>> Yasuo Higa
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Jeff Schnitzer <j...@infohazard.org> wrote:
>>> Slim3 may be a nice piece of software, but it has not been
>>> demonstrated to be faster than anything (including JDO).  It might or
>>> might not be faster - I don't know - but based on the sloppy
>>> benchmarking, I'm pretty certain that the people making this claim
>>> don't know either.
>>>
>>> There's another ill-conceived performance claim on the Slim3 website:
>>> "You may worry about the overhead of global transactions. Don't worry.
>>> It is not very expensive."  There are three problems with their little
>>> performance test:
>>>
>>>  1) It only measures wall-clock time, not cost.
>>>  2) It does not measure what happens under contention.
>>>  3) The numbers are obviously wrong - they don't even pass a smoke test.
>>>
>>> Look at these numbers (from the Slim3 home page):
>>>
>>> Entity Groups   Local Transaction(millis)       Global Transaction(millis)
>>> 1       67      70
>>> 2       450     415
>>> 3       213     539
>>> 4       1498    981