Yes, there's really only one acceptable way of doing this - set up a
webservice program somewhere else (maybe near the database) that will
possibly do some of the processing or just return the data over HTTP
to your GAE app. GAE has the ability to do HTTP requests but not
socket connections.

This might not be trivial, but you can then compress / process the
data near to the database and then you can return the data in a good
non-RDMS form for GAE and return it a SOAP API or possibly some
webservice that your IDE can create automagically.

Thanks,
Mat.