-So are textProperties more efficient than StringProperties
because
    they're not indexed?

    You'd have to find the talk from Google IO to be sure. I believe
it
    was the one about scalability, in the QA section. But yes, that is
my
    understanding.

As I understand it, every field that's not a TextProperty or a
BlobProperty are implicitly indexed (this is how all = conditions are
dealt with in queries). So, whenever you write such an object, it will
take longer (because of the index updates).

Another way of thinking about it, is that if you never need to query
on a single value, make it a TextProperty or BlobProperty, if
possible.

    -Wouldn't adding etag--while increasing efficiency if I have the
same
    users loading the same image again and again--actually decrease
    efficiency for users who are opening up an thumbnail for the first
    time? In that situation,  I'd have another column for etags in my
    datastore being requested w/ every query.

    Yes, you absolutely should generate the etag when you save the
    thumbnail, and save it in the model itself. Caching it separately
is
    however still desirable as you can then avoid pulling the rest of
the
    data into memory if it's not needed, or you can opt to not cache
the
    rest of the data at all, instead only caching the etag, to be more
    cache friendly.

A quick and easy hack for this is to generate the etag before creating
the Thumbnail model instance - and use that etag as the named key.
Then, you can do lookup and caching based on the etag alone, where
that makes sense. Unless you have some specific meaning in your ID
already, this should simplify the "how to deal with etags" question
quite a bit.