Datastore timeouts, which some users on this thread mentioned, are the
most disturbing issue for me at this point.  I'm getting timeouts on
3-5% of all write requests.

This is especially bad if you're using GAE as a back-end data layer
that your front-end server talks to through a REST API.  Each timeout
ties up a thread on your front-end server for 5 seconds, which is kind
of scary, since timeouts on GAE seem to happen in batches - I often
get 5 timeouts in a row one minute and then 5 more in a row 10-20
minutes later, etc., and this continues 24/7.