@davew:

As Sylvain points out, below, the simplest things can cause this. I've
had straight-to-template calls cause high CPU errors and, to tell you
the truth, even if I could meaningfully profile Django templates, I
don't think there's much I could do about it. Especially, as Sylvain
states, it appears to be random.

Aral