Remember AppEngine is a 'shared' environment - lots of apps are all
using a slice of the same resources.

Would you rather that someone (maliciously or simply though ignorance)
monopolizes all the resources (even if they are paying) and that
brings your app (though no fault of your own) to a standstill.

Its also possible to say that by being 'restricted' by quotes forces
the application developer to be creative and build applications to
scale well.

One approach to scaling is just throwing bigger servers at the problem
which works to a point but is expensive, the other is to throw more
machines at the problem, but this often creates engineering effort to
make it work across a distributed system.

AppEngine is a distributed system from the start - so it will scale
easily if you design with that in mind. Most hosting platforms are not
distributed so a usually easier to get going.

I speak from a website (not on appengine) which is undergoing the
pains of scaling, and now realise that imposing limits actually
benefits the stability of the whole system. Also AppEngine comes from
the experience of Google that obviously very experienced in building
applications at Internet scale.

--
Barry

- www.nearby.org.uk - www.geograph.org.uk -