I guess it's difficult to do a really accurate scalability test for
simulating a huge number of simultaneous users.

I heard one interesting comment in a video (don't remember which
video) about Google App Engine though. To make an accurate load test
on Google App Engine it has to be done over a period of time that
allows Google App Engine to spawn new server instances. To just go
from small load to suddenly hitting the App Engine with a massive
number of hits will not give an accurate results since the App Engine
must be given some time to adapt to the increased load (to spawn new
server instances).

I can imagine something like a binary tree of servers. At low load
only one server is handling requests. When the load increases above a
certain threshold then two new servers are activated to handle
requests, and so on in a binary tree fashion. This is just a guess.
How the scalability is done in GAE may be something entirely
different, but as I understand it GAE has some form of gradual growth
of scalability.