The documentation says: "...Memcache...is accessible by multiple
instances of your application"

I don't know if this means that each server instance has its own
Memcache or that all the instances access a single Memcache. In any
case, when the Memcache needs to be invalidated for a particular key,
then the Memcache needs to be invalidated for all instances of the
application. So the Memcache cannot be entirely separate for each
instance of the application.

I have seen many developers implement all kinds of clever caches which
have been like reinventing the wheel many times over, plus caching
often leads to nasty bugs in the code and I suspect that the
performance in many cases is in practice not significantly increased
or not increased at all. A lot of time, effort and resources spent to
create messy caching code that was never needed in the first place and
only makes the application much more difficult, costly and time-
consuming to develop, maintain and modify.