Yes, removing Memcache from the GAE API is probably not a good idea.
There must have been some reason why it was added.

What I'm skeptic about is if it will be a good idea for me to use it
or if I will only be doing something unnecessary or even worse,
shooting myself in the foot if the Memcache does not scale well and if
my site will start to get massive traffic (my application still has
very low traffic but I want to be prepared for the eventuality of an
exponential traffic increase :-).