Hi Anders,

In my experience with standard RMDBS, memcache is more useful for
caching arbitrary data and less useful for caching model objects.  If
you have a really tuned database layer a lot of your queries will
already be resident in the database's cache, and memcache provides
only a modest efficiency gain.  With GAE that seems to be less true -
in one of my apps, caching my User model reduced response time by
about 150ms.

However, where I have found memcache most valuable is in caching more
arbitrary data constructs.  Caching fragments of your rendered HTML,
for instance, can be really effective.  Or perhaps there's a big chunk
of JSON that is often requested, but really only needs to be updated
once a minute.  Removing the memcache API would be really really
unfortunate.

re: whether or not you should implement it, I would say NO.  until you
have a whole whack of users, concentrate on more important things.

Ben