On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 10:06 AM, rvjcallanan <vinc...@callanan.ie> wrote:

> This is a major red flag issue for many types of application even
> looking beyond basic datastore timestamps and auto-date/time
> functionality. What's worse, a feature request may not carry much
> weight as it pertains to Google's global server infrastructure.

Can you suggest some applications where global clock skew on the order
of a few seconds is a big problem? There are probably other ways of
coping without sacrificing the scalability guarantees that Google's
infrastructure provides.

> At the very least, we should have some firm guarantees on clock skew.
> I don't know much about Google's server infrastructure but I think
> 100mS is comfortably achievable globally with NTP. This would require
> individual servers to be proactively taken off the network if clock
> skew exceeds the guaranteed limits.

Keep in mind that it takes a photon of light about 130 ms to go around
the world, so your users would probably be at least that far away from
the servers. Even with the servers being completely synchronised
within nanoseconds, you will have a significant latency between the
servers and your users.

Dave.