> How could these users know that the application used inconsistent
> timestamps?  Even if they knew of each other's existence, which they
> don't, they don't have synchronized clocks.

It is not necessarily about users knowing anything!
For a number of possible reasons (including the consistency of a
running balance), an accounts engine might have a basic specification
requirement that invoices are generated in sequence with ascending
invoice numbers *and* ascending invoice time/date. Given that many
users may be generating purchases "simultaneously", this suggests a
requirement for a centralised universal reference clock used
specifically for invoice creation.

> The case where it's easiest for a user to detect the consequences of
> clock skew is a burst of requests from single user.  However, as long
> as your client doesn't send simultaneous requests, all requests by a
> given user within a short time frame are likely to be served in order
> by the same process and that process is self-consistent.

"Likely to be served in order by the same process" just ain't good
enough!

I realise it is early days yet and I repeat my earlier clarification
that I am not a GAE party pooper! Simply hoping that the kind of
scenarios I mentioned are given due attention by GAE developers in the
(near) future.

Rgds,
rvjcallanan