Unfortunately that recipe will not work in the cloud (although it
currently works in the SDK) because the Python marshal module is not
available.

marshal is empty. An import will succeed, but using it will not.
  via  http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/purepython.html

jinja2.bccache uses marshal to load and dump the data
  via
http://dev.pocoo.org/hg/jinja2-main/file/dd5534b4f4b9/jinja2/bccache.py#l53

I'm working on getting some type of bytecode caching working, I'll let
you know if I do.

Obviously if I've made some stupid oversight please let me know.

Thanks,