Ok, I am getting no response, so let me say what my attempt was, based
on viewing the source html of a GAE webpage. But this "attempt" does
not work, because I get sent to a nonexistent webpage. Notice that the
return address is the one for my appspot.com application.

<form id="gaia_universallogin"
      action="https://www.google.com/accounts/LoginAuth?continue=http
%3A%2F%2Fcarpoolfinder.appspot.com%2F" method="post"
      onsubmit="return(gaia_onLoginSubmit());">
  <input type="hidden" name="continue" id="continue"
           value="http://carpoolfinder.appspot.com"; />
 <input type="submit" class="gaia le button" name="signIn"
           value="Sign in"
                  />
</form>

Thanks,