Gipsy,

I don't think that the first option will work because I cannot assume
that the person who arrives needs to be a user. Non-users can also
arrive at my home page and enter a "place" in the text field, but I
want to treat users differently from non-users.

But I want to give users a chance to login from my home page, because
I don't know what else to tell them to do to login at that point. How
does  anyone login at appspot without being invited to do so? Can you
just initiate a login? If so, I can give users instructions for a link
to where they can do so, and tell them when they are through to come
back manually. But I don't know where to tell them to go.

I don't understand the second option, but I assume it does not achieve
my needs, either, does it?

Thanks so much for helping on this.

On Jan 9, 7:28 pm, "Gipsy Gopinathan" <gipsy.ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay.
>
> Then from your handler for '/' check if users.get_current_user() is None if
> true then redirect
> (DO NOT write the response back), to the url generated by
> users.create_login_url("/")
>
> code will be something like
> '
>
> self.redirect(users.create_login_url("/"))
>
> Or you can  write back the below html snippet
>
> """<html><body
> onload='location.replace('"""+users.create_login_url("/")+"""')></body></ht
> ml>"""

Brian in Atlanta