djidjadji wrote:
> You have no knowledge when your request is executed on the server.
> Launching a new interpreter takes time, the server is busy processing
> other requests. If the time of the data is important you should take a
> time measurement at the sensor and send it as part of the request

Correct!

David Symonds wrote:
> Why don't you get your sensors to track their own time?

Right on!

On Jan 13, 9:11 am, rvjcallanan <vinc...@callanan.ie> wrote:

> In summary, from reading all posts, I think the best solutions for the
> two scenarios presented are:
>
> SENSOR APPLICATIONS:
> Sensors need to timestamp packets themselves e.g. a cellphone-based
> system can sync to NTP.
> So this should not be in Google's problem domain

Whoa! Wait a second! (pun intended)
My sensors already speak HTTP over Ethernet to port 80 on a server.
Time transfer over Ethernet is a time honored tradition and serves
nicely in my application. I can sync my sensor's local clock to GAE
servers easily. (I'm doing that now.)

The addition of a hardware solution at each node is simply
not practical in my case.

My sensors are:
-low power (powered by 2 ea. AA batteries for 1 year.)
-small (think deck of cards)
-inexpensive (BOM cost under $30 US)
-sometimes indoors (think no reception of outside radio time signals).

The problem of accurate time synchronization across large computer
networks
was solved years ago. Google simply needs to step up and clarify
that, "Yea, we do that." Because, well..., because... They already do!
(And pretty nicely at that!)

This is a communication issue (between GAE developers and Google),
*not* a technical issue.

Cesium