1.1.8 has PolyModel s, which provide a way for
{superclass}.get_by_key_name() to get an instance of the subclass.
(The datastore still doesn't know anything about subclasses.  As far
as the datastore is concerned, there are no instances of the
subclasses.  The run time tells the datastore that all instances of
the subclasses are instances of the superclass but the runtime also
adds a field identifying the subclass to each entity in the
datastore.  The run-time then uses that field to determine what kind
of python object to build when something comes back from the datastore
as a result of a query or one of the various forms of get.)