"Javascript on your login form should first hash the password, then
hash the result with a salt - say the session id"
I assume that's only true if I opt out of SSL?

"That way the contents of the cookie are no use to anyone, all useful
info
is stored in memcache, where attackers can't get it."
But can't the attackers simply spoof a request with that session id in
the cookies?