On Jan 24, 10:10 am, Andrew Badera <and...@badera.us> wrote:
> Typically, or at least in my experience, salting is
> md5/sha1/whatever(password+salt) rather than md5(md5(password)+salt) ...

If you just hash the password plus the salt, you need to store the
password on the server. This is bad, both because servers are
vulnerable and also because at some stage you have to transmit the
password in clear. So you transmit (and store) the hash of the
password, which means you need to hash it twice when you login.

> But can't the attackers simply spoof a request with that session id in
> the cookies?

Yes, but only while the session is valid. At the very least make your
sessions expire frequently, and make logging out enticing for users.
And you could also make their IP address part of the salt, and have
the server check it. This limits attacks to your internal network.

Cheers!
Greg.