Hi,

Upon some further investigation, it seems that this is the result of the new
handling of CPU intensive requests, more information about which can be
found here:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.html#Request_Limits

Specifically "Applications that are heavily cpu-bound, on the other hand,
may incur some additional latency in long-running requests in order to make
room for other apps sharing the same servers. "

Essentially, if we observe that you have some heavily cpu-bound requests,
your handler may experience additional latency. This may not always happen,
and for the higher cpu request handlers, there is no way to know exactly
when it may happen.

-Marzia