Thanks for following through on this, Marzia! That makes a lot more
sense. I really appreciate the diagnosis; you rock!

bFlood, I think the only reason that handler is getting mauled is
because of the 1200ms+ startup costs for initializing a new instance.
Because it's the same handler, the startup costs are causing it to
look like a dog and get collared, delaying also the 30-200ms type
requests.

Also note that there are lots of what are "different" requests to me,
in that they do much different things, but they share a common handler
and URL (in this case, a PyAMF gateway on /gateway). So that's why
many different parts of the site seemed slow together.

Now I just have to find a way to hack down that PyAMF startup time.
Ugh.