Felt I needed to report back..

Well I checked again, and although I do not see any change in my
Webmaster stats, ie nothing on the site appears to be indexed, the
feature seems to be working and searches return results for most terms
I enter for the Custom site search, don't know why or how It clearly
was not working for weeks... but any how
thank you Google gods!

I swear I have not touched anything on the site, but after several
weeks, it just started to work.. very curious!!
 Best,
Tom