Just wanted to confirm that this issue went away, and is working great
now! I did make some changes, but not any change which would seem to
affect scalability. Only major change was that a big percentage of my
calls was raising an exception that was logged as an error, and I
fixed that.

The important thing is that it works now. There is no doubt I will be
using App Engine instead of PHP running on my own servers from now on.
Already I can see that the better response times are leading to a lot
more visits to my MySpace app.

-Bemmu