> > I know Google must have relationships with high level officials in the
> > Chinese gov't and could use influence to make sure GAE never gets
> > blocked.
>
> Why do you think that is true?

I've been in China for almost 2 years now, and while I am no expert on
the country, I have a good idea of how things work here.  The reason
I'm pretty sure Google has high level contacts in the Chinese gov't is
because I'm pretty sure EVERY major multi-national operating in China
has a relationship with the gov't.  Foreigners can't just show up over
here and set up shop.  There is a mind numbing bureacracy that
controls everything and the way to make things happen isn't
necessarily through direct bribery, but through personal relationships
with local officials.  Expensive dinners and nights singing kareoke
are what makes world work.  There is no doubt Google as well as every
other company making big bets on China frequently interact Chinese
officials.  I'm sure this is especially true in the realm of the GFW
(Great Firewall), where Google must agree to play by the local rules
or get shut off altogether.  Even the contents of this post, if were
in Chinese, would be grounds for blocking. The only problem is that
the people deciding what gets blocked have absolutely no concern for a
group of coders working on their own personal projects.  As crazy as
it may seem, the best way for those of in China to be able to develop
for GAE without getting blocked is most likely someone from Google
going out for a night of drinking and kareoke with someone that
controls what gets blocked.

>> I've never once had problems getting on Baidu.com, so there
must be a way to make sure it won't be blocked.

> Baidu.com is a Chinese company, headquartered in China.  Why would you
> think that Baidu's relationship with the Chinese government has
> anything to do with Google's relationship?

Because Baidu and Google are the #1 and #2 (in that order) most
popular search engines in China.  They both have a relationship with
the gov't, and it seems that Baidu's is stronger because they never
get blocked.  Now, I also know that the gov't will usually support
local companies against foreign compitition.  Also, since Baidu is
Chinese they are most likely more self policiing when it come to
objectionable content, and  they certainly don't have any kind "don't
be evil" clauses in their mission statement.  For these reasons Baidu
has a natural advantage in not getting blocked.  But seeing that
Google is a major player in Chinese internet search business, it seems
like they would be doing more to make sure their site, including GAE,
is 100% usable, all the time, no questions asked.  If it doesn't have
that, then I can't base a business aimed at the Chinese on GAE, which
I find incredibly dissappointing, because so far GAE looks really
cool.