>From the quota details page, the current default limit for
simultaneous active dynamic requests is around 30 per app.

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.html#Request_Limits

(However, it may be possible to raise these limits on a case by case
basis http://code.google.com/appengine/kb/billing.html#cpu )

Your approach sounds reasonable, but I was curious about your mention
of threading. Would that be client side threading? Ajax triggers would
be another good solution which I've seen apps use.

Thank you,

Jeff