Long ago I attracted a flame-fest when I expressed my opinion that
adding support for other programming languages should be given less
priority than fixing bugs and adding infrastructural features. Here we
are, months later, and the big announcements are

1) Java (my God, why?)

    and

2) Cron jobs (...but I could already write cron jobs to hit a URL)

In the meantime, full-text search is not even on the roadmap.

I'm torn. As the creator of Wordle, I'm truly grateful to Google and
the GAE team for the use of an automatically-scaling app
infrastructure. It has been a pleasure to use. On the other hand, the
lack of search has been a huge problem for Wordle users, and I've got
no good options.

I acknowledge that search is my pet issue; I don't claim to represent
a community or interest group with these comments. Then again, I can't
think of a CRUD-style app that doesn't require or benefit from text
search. So, while I'd consider using GAE in the future for some
stateless utility micro-site, or maybe a static site, I won't use it
again for anything with user-created data. While I've begun to regret
having used it for Wordle, I admit that it's my own fault for not
having thought through the implications of having no full-text search
available.