In the meantime, you might consider Google Base-- it's far from ideal
in many ways,
   but it works for many apps and I've launched several high volume
apps on it.
   http://base.google.com/

For apps with requirements Base can't meet including commercial apps,
I've heard
   good things about Lucene, and you could run this on a commercial
VPS (I've had
   good luck with linode.com) or hosting facility, e.g. Amazon EC2.

adam
(Google engineer)