The datastore implementation (non-relational) is one of the last
things I'm bumping against (now Java is supported ;-)

I understand that aggregate data *can* be calculated at write time.
But this is not what I want and I guess a lot of other users will
think the same.

Also adhoc querying will be difficult with the current datastore.
Maybe I want the sum of revenue per User
or the sum of all users
or maybe the sum per Country or, City, or... this would mean a lot of
calculations to be done. IMHO this is also very error prone.

And maybe someday our business department wants average figures
instead of sums...

I guess Amazon is not for nothing offering persistent storage which
allows user to use e.g. MySQL.
Also Sun's Cloud features a relational database (again MySQL).

I think 95% of all developers attracted to Google App Engine are using
relational databases in the daily job...
Like Andrew said it's a issue of barrier.

PS: I will look into the index documentation to see if it can help me
with aggregate data.

Cheers,
Marcel