Hi Micheal,

Just 1 db is fine enough for me.
I would choose a cloud platform because I don't want to maintain the
hardware myself and install os, application server etc.
Or even worse have to put up another application server and have to
load balance it.

That's why I like the elasticity of the Cloud. If I would more
resources, cpu etc. I will pay for it.
Again 1 db is fine enough, in most web applications I have seen so far
the application server and web servers are clusters but there is
always just 1 db.

So why not support e.g. MySQL as relational database within GAE? ;-)
I agree a relational database is a very sophisticated technology.
That's why so many people like it!
That's also why Amazon support both SimpleDB and e.g. MySQL I guess.
They had the same questions.

Whatever hosting environment you choose (shared hosting or nowadays
cloud, ...) a relational database is always supported (and used by
many people).
I don't agree with your statement "That is why folks like Microsoft
and Sun are willing to offer relational databases as part of their
cloud platforms. There is almost no chance that any customer will
actually need this."

Cheers,
Marcel