I use a 'populate' method in a base model class. Slightly different
from the previously posted function because it'll only update values
of existing properties.

    def populate(self, **kargs):
        properties = self.properties()
        for key, value in kargs.iteritems():
            if key in properties:
                setattr(self, key, value)

I use it mostly to update an entity using data from a form. For example:

    entity = MyModel.get_by_key_name('my_key_name')
    entity.populate(**processed_form_data)
    entity.put()

-- rodrigo