1. If i have the USA phone directory as my DB, and NY has 10,000,000 records
in it. or i have a DB with only NY 10,000,000 records without the rest of
the USA. searching for all NY records will take same time at both cases ?

2. The other reason to split the DB is security, should a "bug" or a google
app exploit  will be available you dont want
   your customer "A" records be viewed by customer "B".  the application
runs in somekind of sandbox but if the DB is one
   any small error in program can expose everything to everyone.

Eddie.