I just tried to deploy a new version and bumped its version number
from 1 to 122 (the svn number).
Now access to 122.latest...appspot.com results in a 500 Server Error
while my 1.latest... version works fine.

Some changes:
The index.yaml has not changed (except reference counts) and there
should not be a need for a new index. Some DBs do not occur in the
index (accessed by keyword & parent only).
I have changed one existing db.Model from package dbmodels to
iconmanager

application/octet-stream.
Cloning 88 static files.
Cloning 56 application files.
Uploading 26 files.
Deploying new version.
Checking if new version is ready to serve.
Will check again in 1 seconds.
Checking if new version is ready to serve.
Will check again in 2 seconds.
Checking if new version is ready to serve.
Closing update: new version is ready to start serving.
Uploading index definitions.
Error 500: --- begin server output ---

Server Error (500)
A server error has occurred.
--- end server output ---
Your app was updated, but there was an error updating your indexes.
Please retry later with appcfg.py update_indexes.