Hello,

Let's make a bit of walk together, here are some ideas:

1) I am testing Netbeans 6.7 python early access 2, and it looks
pretty fine for testing purpose (nice presentation of test results,
easy to go to the code, able to run test in the Netbeans project, but
above what I will transmit to GAE... + I still don't say that
everything is perfect, for example, it mix a bit the counting of
tests...)
http://download.netbeans.org/netbeans/6.7/python/ea2/

2) I founded yesterday these interesting links in the GAE discussion,
but I don't reden them yet:
http://domderrien.blogspot.com/2009/01/automatic-testing-of-gae-applications.html
http://blog.appenginefan.com/2008/06/unit-tests-for-google-app-engine-apps.html

3) I don't have investigated your problem in detail yet but:
a) I suppose you have read the django doc about this topic, normally,
they have material about that...
b) I am begining to investigate a bit more... It's not easy to make
that import of the django Client, I don't know in which context you
try this import... I will try to solve my one... With Netbeans 6.7,
when I try this import, it simply don't take the test any more in
consideration, silently... Thus, I tried it in a python console:
NbPython console
Python 2.5.4 (r254:67916, Apr  4 2009, 17:55:16)
[GCC 4.3.3] on linux2
(InteractiveConsole)
>>> from django.test.client import Client
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<console>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/test/__init__.py",
line 6, in <module>
    from django.test.testcases import TestCase
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/test/testcases.py",
line 10, in <module>
    from django.db import transaction
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/db/__init__.py", line
9, in <module>
    if not settings.DATABASE_ENGINE:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/conf/__init__.py",
line 28, in __getattr__
    self._import_settings()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/conf/__init__.py",
line 57, in _import_settings
    raise ImportError("Settings cannot be imported, because
environment variable %s is undefined." % ENVIRONMENT_VARIABLE)
ImportError: Settings cannot be imported, because environment variable
DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE is undefined.

Like that I see better some problems, but I don't know if this is also
relevant for you?
If you run in a django environment like App Engine Patch, you don't
have this kind of problems because these settings are done fou you...

Hope it helps,

Michel