Hi Martyn,

The network topology between you and the App Engine server could also be a
factor in this latency, so I might start by checking there. I'm also
wondering how frequently you are making these requests. We're certainly
interested in doing what we can to reduce overall latency, we've generally
found that user perceived latency has a big impact and, to the user, it
really doesn't matter which part of the experience is slow and they don't
always have a way of knowing.

Cheers,

Jeff