Hi Jeff,

Yes, I think it is down to network topology.  I have been pointed at
the Java get latency figures that I had not realised were accessible
before.

I have put together a test set of interactions, and I was surprised to
discover that when I measured the latency using javascript it is
typically 160 - 200ms (far better than the 1 second I claimed in my
original post).  This certainly enforces what you say about perceived
user experience. Of course the user delay will be a little more due to
browser refresh, but I was clearly way out in my subjective
estimation.

I get ~150ms on an appspot.com ping, so this completely explains the
delays (I have also asked a few UK friends to ping appspot and they
see similar figures).

Interestingly this is pretty much what I get when I ping google.com
(but mail.google.com is very quick at 20ms).

I'll post a link to the test app in a bit.

- Martyn