I have an idea, throwing it out to this group to see if it is sound.

What if there were a service in the cloud that served as an https
proxy? https://www.abc.com would resolve to this service and its sole
job would be to be a proxy for https://abc.appspot.com. Well, there is
the performance problem of the extra hop, and the trust problem of
whether we trust this service to not look at messages as it terminates
the SSL certs at either end.

Are there any other problems that anyone can see? It might be a nice
short-term solution until Google comes up with their solution.
Amazon's $0.01/hr translates to $7.20 per month. What if this service
were priced similarly? How many folks would buy it? Does such a
service already exist?