Could you not just replicate the the "Add Domain" form from the
AppEngine admin area? [1]

That would then allow the user to associate their domain with your
app. You would I beleive have one instance that served each domain.
(it would have to look at the Host header to decide which domain it
was serving at that point)

[1] https://appengine.google.com/deployment/newdomain?app_id=<appid>

which when filled out goes to a url
https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/<domain>/AddAppEngineService?appId=<appid>

You hardcode the appid, but fill the domain as what they enter.