You might also want to read this article:

http://googleappengine.blogspot.com/2009/06/10-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about.html

Versions are just strings. In the production admin console, you can deploy
multiple versions of an application that would only be accessible here:

http://version.live.appid.appspot.com

It's possible to have an application that uses live data to stage a release,
then cut-over to the release using the admin tool when you have confidence.
For a staging application that uses older production data, you can use the
exporters and importers, then just use a different configuration file for
each deploy.

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 10:47 AM, niklasr <nikla...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 20, 4:54 am, Anders Moberg <anders.moberg.fri...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have searched for some kind of best practice for environment
> > architecture design in GAE but haven't found anything (yet).
> >
> > I think we need 4 environments, development, test, verification and
> > production. But that is just my initial thought. So my questions are:
> >  - What environments do you recommend?
> >  - What is easiest way to set up these environments?
> >  - Has google any official/unofficial policy against multiple versions
> > for the “same” application?
> >
> > Our idea is to use a local computer for development. And 3 GAE hosted
> > environments, where:
> >  - test would be for unit and integration test
> >  - verification for end-user-tests
> >  - production of course for the final version.
> >
> > I'm very interested in your thoughts and experience in this area!
> >
> > Regards, Anders Moberg
> Hejsan, most here depends whether python or java is chosen. Java has
> more ways to solve a problem and python the "obvious" way. The
> (python) system development model I chose is very similar to this:
> dev,test,prod,live + scraps adhocratively (matching innovatively
> supporting very quick decisions) switching (too) fast, also looking
> for more structural approach than ad hoc. Generally going opposite way
> than majority who say facts have many numbers, I use names and shapes
> that are easier and more natural to understand. + There're no
> conventions for version numberings also supporting less numbers more
> names. Here are some threads already mentioning environments. Spec I
> want IDE with Mercurial and deployment to facilit8 development
> integr8ing dvcs, scripting and deployment in one IDE.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine-python/browse_thread/thread/afadb9cad6126f92/91b9a11e25e9e326#91b9a11e25e9e326
> http://code.google.com/p/appfilesbrowser/ is very good to inspect
> actual deployed
> And sure welcome inspect my main project montao.googlecode.com with
> many links to material I fins rel8ed if you want.
> ______
> Niklas

Ikai Lan