Hi,

I wish to set up a CPU-intensive time-important query service for
users on the internet.
Is GAE with Java the right choice? (as compared to other clouds, or
non-cloud architecture)
Specifically, in terms of:
1) pricing
2) latency resulting from slow CPU, JIT compiles, etc..
3) latency resulting from communication of processes inside the cloud
(e.g. a queuing process and a calculation process)
4) latency of communication between cloud and end user

A usage scenario I am expecting is:
- a typical user sends a query (XML of size around 1K) once every 30
seconds on average,
- Each query requires a numerical computation of average time 0.2 sec
and max time 1 sec (on a 1 GHz Pentium). The computation requires no
data other than the query itself.
- The delay a user experiences between sending a query and receiving a
response should be on average no more than 2 seconds and in general no
more than 5 seconds.
- A background save to a DB of the response should occur (not time
critical)
- There can be up to 30000 simultaneous users - i.e., on average 1000
queries a second, each requiring an average 0.2 sec calculation, so
that would necessitate around 200 CPUs.

Is this feasible on GAE Java?
If so, where can I learn about the correct design methodology for such
a project on GAE?

If this is the wrong forum to ask this, I'd appreciate redirection.

Thanks,

Eric