2009/12/10 Ikai L (Google) <ika...@google.com>

> I see what you mean - I was only looking at ways of reducing your datastore
> calls.
>
> Yes, each image load will result in a datastore call, so you'll have to
> factor this into the design of your application. Depending on your needs,
> one way you could handle this is to work with browser caches. The first load
> will always require all the calls, however, subsequent requests to that
> image should have it served from cache. If you happen to be serving a very
> high volume of images such that this doesn't work, that's the point where it
> would make sense to look at CDN providers that will use your application as
> an origin server. Are you seeing problems with your application hitting
> quota when you serve the images from the datastore?

The datastore performs well except for the daily delay hour.
Currently we have not figure out why the delay happened arount 11:00PM.
Our site does not have much traffic at that time. Maybe it is the local
problem
because 11:00PM is also the peak time of the internet here.
Good news is that our QA guy doesn't report it as an issue yet.

The images are displayed as the search result,i.e., for every entries,
we display a thumnail (~3K).
The number of entries are around 13,000.
 We hope to keep the system configuration simple.
For full-text search, a extra searching server has already engaged.
The browser firstly querying the resulting list of ids of entries,
then querys every entries content and thumbnails from the GAE datastore.
If we move the static files to CDN, then the GAE might become overkilling
for us.
On the other hand, utilizing CDN to host those small amount of tiny files
might also be overkilling.
 I am very much appreciating your response.
Personally, GAE/python is my favorite and hope to stay on it along with the
growing of the traffic and scale.
We will keep on the current implementation which retrieve the thumbnail and
origin images from the datastore.
And expecting for a better solution in the feature on GAE.