Nick,

If we (I work with Gary) require fairly heavy requests which run for multiple
seconds then it is not possible to get anywhere near 400 QPS.   The math used
on the docs page only applies to 75ms requests.

(1000 ms/second / 75 ms/request) * 30 = 400 requests/second

so lets say each request takes 10 seconds (and ours, pulling data to EC2 for a
heavy operation that we can't do on GAE could take that much since we have to
process and update some XML before sending it)

(1000 ms/second / 10000 ms/request) * 30 = 3 requests/second

And that does not even take into account all the other traffic to our
application, nor the fact that many users could be doing this same heavy
operation at the same time.  Our application will see spikes in this type of
activity also.  The docs also mention that CPU heavy apps incur penalties,
which is vague and scary.

Great effort is put into doing things in the most efficient way possible, but
not everyones apps can do everything in 75ms. Most all of our service calls are
under 250ms. We do have a little overhead from our framework which we are
constantly working on improving.  Our application is AMF service/object based
which is inherently heavy compared to simple web requests.  It limits the
amount of memcache work we can do also, but we are also working on improving
our use of that.

We easily hit these boundaries during testing so I think we really need much
higher simultaneous dynamic request limits for not only our production instance
but our dev/qa instances so we can test and load them to some degree.  Our QA
team could easily bust this limit 20 times over.

So, Nick Johnson... I ask your advice.   We are running a company/product on
GAE.  We are more than happy to pay for quota/service/extra assistance in these
matters. What do you suggest we do?

I should also mention that I spoke with Brett Slatkin at PyCon and he is now at
least semi-familiar with the scope of product we have developed.  I have
exchanged contact info with him but have not heard anything back from him yet.
We would really appreciate contact or even a brief meeting at some point (in
person or otherwise).

Thanks,

-Mike Wesner