On Mar 22, 3:48 pm, "Nick Johnson (Google)" <nick.john...@google.com>
wrote
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM, homunq <jameson.qu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > OK, after hashing it out on IRC, I see that I have to erase my data
> > and start again.
>
> Why is that? Wouldn't updating the data be a better option?

Because everything about it is wrong for saving space - the key names,
the field names, the indexes, and even in one case the fact of
breaking a string out into a list. (something I did for better
searching in several cases, one of which is not worth it now I realize
that 10X is easy to hit.)

And because the data import runs smoothly, and I have code for that
already.

Watching my deletion process start to get trapped in molasses, as Eli
Jones mentions above, I have to ask two things again:

1. Is there ANY ANY way to delete all indexes on a given property
name? Without worrying about keeping indexes in order when I'm just
paring them down to 0, I'd just be running through key names and
deleting them. It seems that would be much faster. (If it's any help,
I strongly suspect that most of my key names are globally unique
across all of Google).

2. What is the reason for the slowdown? If I understand his suggestion
to delete every 10th record, Eli Jones seems to suspect that it's
because there's some kind of resource conflict on specific sections of
storage, thus the solution is to attempt to spread your load across
machines. I don't see why that would cause a gradual slowdown. My best
theory is that write-then-delete leaves the index somehow a little
messier (for instance, maybe the index doesn't fully recover the
unused space because it expects you to fill it again) and that when
you do it on a massive scale you get massively messy and slow indexes.
Thus, again, I suspect this question reduces to question 1, although I
guess that if my theory is right a compress/garbage-collect/degunking
call for the indexes would be (for me) second best after a way to nuke
them.