--On Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:12 AM -0700 Mark <mar...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to plan out how much an app could potentially cost to run.
I'm looking at the quotas here:

  http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.html

it says we get a free limit of 1,300,000 requests per day, and 1gb of
free storage.

1.3million hits/day is a lot. Very very few sites even approach a couple hundred k. Data storage profiles are similar. This comes from working at a relatively large dynamic (php mostly) app hosting company for 6+ years. 1.3million is an average of 15 hits/second all day long.

I think my app is going to run over the 1gb storage limit, and the
1,300,000 calls per day limit, but possibly none of the other quotas.
How does billing work in this scenario? Can we pay for more than
1,300,000 requests per day? I'm not seeing where this would be charged
in the billing screencast here:

They don't bill per hit, they bill for data transferred to/from users, and other categories, as defined:

<http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/billing.html#Billable_Quota_Unit_Cost>

and described at:

<http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.html#Billable_Quotas_and_Fixed_Quotas>

And

<http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.html#Resources>

Marks resources as (billable) or fixed and explains each.