I did some math on this recently for my application but my
application's numbers won't fit your application. Each application is
going to have a different performance profile. You need to profile
your application and determine what it will use in resources. My
application is very CPU intensive so I've used my CPU quota well
before ever reaching my request quota.

As I understand it you'll face a recurring charge for data persisted
above the quota.

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.html
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.html#Datastore

I used the numbers in that link, along with a few days worth of
profiling data from my application, coupled with an AdSense revenue
projection to determine what performance criteria the application
would have to fulfill to be profitable should it become popular and
need to scale beyond free. If you are seriously thinking you'll go
beyond 1.3 million requests a day I suggest you do some math along the
same lines.

/** Shawn.Hartsock http://hartsock.blogspot.com */