Hi,

I was looking at the discussion about analytics here:

http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/80d40046a3202ef2/4d1cea03e7120fa2?lnk=gst&q=analytics#4d1cea03e7120fa2

I'm in the same situation - there's a few pieces of data that I'd like
to track, and storing them in the datastore is going to introduce
extra complexity to my app, eat up more of the 100 quota index limit,
etc.

I can just make specialized log statements for the events I'm
interested in, then download the log once a day and parse it to do my
analysis. I just wonder two things:

  1) Will emitting more log statements slow down my app? For example,
I log a statement everytime I serve a particular page. If millions of
people are viewing the page, will all those log statements be a
significant drain?
  2) Scalability - downloading the log once a day and parsing it - is
anyone doing this already and can speak on their experience? I'm a bit
worried that if the daily log gets really big, trying to download and
parse it each day might become unrealistic.

I'm not sure if there are any other alternatives?

Thanks