AppEngine places quite severe restrictions on the amount of time it allows
for each request. You should read the docs to get an understanding of this
constraint and how it and other constraints effects everything you will do
on the platform.

With that said, AppEngine is built to scale out and if you can implement
your solutions within its constraints then your app would be able to handle
millions of concurrent users.

Jeff

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 6:04 AM, PT <pechetru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed, but I'm trying to get a general idea Of how much I can expect
> with a reasonably optimized application. Could it process
> hundreds,thousands,tens of thousands each minute ?
>
> On Aug 8, 1:17 pm, Matt H <matt2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > From what I've seen, AppEngine is designed for applications driven by
> > huge databases, rather than ones which need huge amounts of
> > computation.
> >
> > On Aug 7, 9:00 pm, PT <pechetru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Hello all,
> > >  I've started designing an application based on the appengine but I'd
> > > appreciate a couple of enlightenments / tips on how to optimize it to
> > > be sure I'm going in the right direction.
> >
> > > The main idea goes around a "game of life" type simulation involving
> > > thousands (with an ultimate goal of tens of thousands) of "cells" in a
> > > 3D environment.
> >
> > > Allthought I'd love realtime ( who woudln't  ;) ) I'll be updating
> > > every minute via a cron job as this will be a persistent experience.
> > > So :
> >
> > > - How ressource heavy would this be considering that each "cell" will
> > > need to consider its surrounding 3D environment & interactions with
> > > other neighboring cells. Would this be totaly acceptable but ressource
> > > wise very expensive ? would it even have time to finish all the
> > > updates before the new round of updating ?
> >
> > > I'm still used to the one old "how much can my host server give"
> > > questionning when designing these things and as I'm still discovering
> > > the appengine and have only really wrapped my head around the fact
> > > that the database can be huge. But how about the rest ?
> >
> > > Thanks for any answers.
> >
> > > Cheers,
> > > PT

Jeff