After exercising the site a while, it's smoothed out.  It seems like
the 500 errors were from trying to spin up new instances.  The site
was completely idle before visitors arrived and the 500 storm started.

It seems like reserved instances is a *critical* feature.  There's no
way we can leave beta when the first impression a user gets of our
site is a 500 page.  We have billing enabled, but all the quota in the
world doesn't help if the user sees an error page and walks away...

-John