Hi James,

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 8:42 AM, James M <jmort...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I edited my GoDaddy DNS A and CNAME records and was able to point the
> naked domain at my app engine app.  It's possible to do even though
> different resources on the Internet claim that it's impossible.  I
> suspect that Google means that it's impossible to do from Google Apps
> or the App Engine Dashboard, but that doesn't include advanced DNS
> configuration.
>
> * I configured an A record to point *.domain.com to my app engine app
> IP Address

"*.domain.com" will map all subdomains to the same IP, not the 'naked'
domain.

Further, ghs.google.com resolves to a number of IPs; these IPs change over
time and depending on the location of the requester. Simply choosing one
from the list will not work reliably.

Finally, App Engine will not be able to route your incoming requests
correctly unless it's aware of your mapping, which it's not possible to do
for a naked domain.

-Nick Johnson

> * I configured a CNAME for www.domain.com to point to ghs.google.com
>
> I suspect that one of those two changes may have something to do with
> my success.  Although honestly this isn't something that I do on a
> regular basis.  Hope this helps!  If it does, awesome!
>
> James
>

> On Sep 20, 6:27 pm, Geoffrey Spear <geoffsp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You can't point the naked domain at an App Engine app at all.
> >
> > However, App Engine doesn't control your DNS settings.  You set CNAMEs
> > for the subdomains you want handled by App Engine or other Google Apps
> > services to ghs.google.com, and setup CNAME or A records for the other
> > addresses in your domain to point to wherever you want them to go.
> >
> > On Sep 20, 6:02 pm, nacho <vela.igna...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > What about the inverse case?
> >
> > > Let's say i have mydomain.com poiting to my appengine app and i want
> > > to use something.mydomain.com poiting to another server? How can i do
> > > it?

> as

> find

> they

> coca-
> cuz

> that)

> my

Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine Google Ireland Ltd. ::
Registered in Dublin, Ireland, Registration Number: 368047