One warning about JPA:  Unless something has changed in the last year,
the datanucleus JPA interface doesn't provide a detach() method.  This
means you cannot (ever) serialize your entities (say, into memcache).
This is a bit of a mess because JPA doesn't presume bytecode
manipulation (Hibernate & friends do dirty change detection by
comparing against a cached copy of the fields) but datanucleus uses
their JDO implementation (including bytecode manipulation) to
implement JPA.  Thus JDO has a detach() method but JPA does not.

Of course, the "mid-level APIs" like Objectify/Twig/SimpleDS/Slim3
which do not use bytecode manipulation do not have this issue.

Jeff