I have found that the first query on my GAE/J development server
(which is a very simple one with one or zero "rows" of results) takes
approximately 5 seconds. After that, queries fly fast and well.

I guess that the first query involves some lazy initialisation.
Anyway, I have no complaints since the dev server is a very useful and
nifty tool (even though it has a few bugs in it).